Ginastera: Orchestral Music, Vol. 3 Xiayin Wang, BBC Philharmonic Orchestra & Juanjo Mena
- Alberto Ginastera (1916 - 1983): Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 28:
- 1Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 28: I. Cadenza e varianti09:41
- 2Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 28: II. Scherzo allucinante04:57
- 3Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 28: III. Adagissimo05:47
- 4Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 28: IV. Toccata concertata05:22
- Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23:
- 5Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: I. Tema per violoncello ed arpa01:58
- 6Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: II. Interludio per corde01:41
- 7Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: III. Variazione giocosa per flauto01:01
- 8Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: IV. Variazione in modo di scherzo per clarinetto01:50
- 9Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: V. Variazione drammatica per viola03:25
- 10Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: VI. Variazione canonica per oboe e fagotto02:25
- 11Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: VII. Variazione ritmica per trombe e trombone00:35
- 12Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: VIII. Variazione in modo di moto perpetuo per violino01:03
- 13Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: IX. Variazione pastorale per corno02:18
- 14Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: X. Interludio per fiati01:15
- 15Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: XI. Ripresa dal tema per contrabasso01:52
- 16Variaciones concertantes, Op. 23: XII. Variazione finale in modo di rondo per orchestra03:34
- Concierto argentino No. 1:
- 17Concierto argentino No. 1: I. Allegretto cantabile08:10
- 18Concierto argentino No. 1: II. Adagietto poético05:01
- 19Concierto argentino No. 1: III. Allegro rústico04:33
Info for Ginastera: Orchestral Music, Vol. 3
In his final year as BBC Philharmonic’s Chief Conductor, Juanjo Mena completes a highly-acclaimed Ginastera series with this third volume. Like in his previous series ‘La Musica de España’, Mena brings the composer’s creative genius to a more deserved fame, showcasing here three works that belonged to three different period of his compositional life.
While the Concierto Argentino is the most significant score of his early years, drawing directly on Argentinian folk music and full of youthful exuberance, the Variaciones Concertantes (more a concerto for orchestra than a set of variations) assumes a more personal and abstract form in accordance with the development of his harmonic ideas in the later stage of his life.
The rhythmic energy and magic scoring of the ‘neo-expressionist’ piano concerto (as Ginastera defined the third phase of his life) is faithfully expressed by the highly technical and virtuosic playing of Xiayin Wang, widely praised for her recent solo recording of piano works by Enrique Granados.
“…There’s a mercurial quality in Wang’s playing that gives her performance of the First Concerto a markedly choreographic feeling – not balletic, exactly, but sculptural and mobile… The BBC Philharmonic have gone from strength to strength in this series. They are superb, idiomatic partners for Wang in the concertos and have the opportunity for their own virtuoso display in the Variaciones concertantes (1953)… the recorded sound is spectacular.” (Andrew Farach-Colton, Gramophone magazine)
“…I have enjoyed all three volumes of this series on Chandos and in fact I think they have got better with each succeeding disc. Wang’s versions of the three concerti are now the finest in the catalogue with the Concierto argentino a delight. The Variaciones receive a fine recording … Presentation is up to the usual Chandos high standards: this is a ‘normal’ 24-bit recording and the liner is presented in the usual tri-lingual format. Xiayin Wang's discography continues to grow in quantity and quality with both concerti here showcasing her technical and musical brilliance. Further proof if any more were needed of the richness and quality of classical music from Latin America.” (Nick Barnard, MusicWeb-International)
Xiayin Wang, piano
BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
Juanjo Mena, conductor
No biography found.